Terre Pruitt's Blog

In the realm of health, wellness, fitness, and the like, or whatever inspires me.

• I teach Nia, yoga and stretch! SIX group classes a week!

Nia: Tues and Thurs at 9 am, Fri at 10:15 am

Yoga: Tues at 10:30 am and Thurs at 6:00 pm

Stretch: Thurs at 10:15 am

Please see my website for details! I sub for the City of San Jose and the YMCA so check my website for dates and times!

I am also available for private Nia / yoga / Personal Training!

• Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

• My Bloggey Past

• ******

Chose a month above to visit archives, or click below to visit a page.

Genetically Engineered Foods Labeling Questionnaire

Posted by terrepruitt on October 25, 2012

Dance Exercise, Nia, Nia at the City of San Jose, Nia classes in the South Bay, Nia Teacher, Nia Class, San Jose Nia, Nia San Jose, Nia workout, Nia, Zumba1. Do you understand that 88% of all corn and 94% of all soybeans produced in the U.S. were grown from Genetically Engineered* seeds in 2011?

2.  Do you understand that with 88% of all corn and 94% of all soybeans produced in the U.S. being from Genetically Engineered seeds that ANYTHING with corn ANYTHING (corn syrup, corn oil, corn, High Fructose Corn Syrup, etc.) or soy ANYTHING (soybean oil, soybean, soy protein concentrate, etc.) is more than likely a Genetically Engineered Food?

3. Do you think Genetically Engineered Foods should be labeled?

4. Do you believe the burden of labeling the Genetically Engineered Foods should fall to the manufacturer?

5. Do you believe the burden of labeling the Genetically Engineered Foods should fall to the retailer?

6. Do you believe that ALL Genetically Engineered Foods should be labeled or just MOST?

7. Do you believe that the Genetically Engineered Food itself should be labeled?Dance Exercise, Nia, Nia at the City of San Jose, Nia classes in the South Bay, Nia Teacher, Nia Class, San Jose Nia, Nia San Jose, Nia workout, Nia, Zumba

8. Do you believe that if the Genetically Engineered food product is not labeled the retailer should be responsible for doing so on the shelf or where the item is displayed?

9. Do you think that if the Genetically Engineered food product is not labeled (package/shelf/display) the retailer “generally must” be able to document why it is exempt?

10. Do you think an acceptable way to document exemption is to obtain a “sworn statement from the provider of the product indicating that the product has not been intentionally or knowingly genetically engineered”?

11. Do you think that it is acceptable that some food need not be labeled such as food “made from animals fed or injected with genetically engineered material but not genetically engineered themselves”?

12. Do you think that processed food that contains “one or more genetically engineered processing aids or enzymes” should be exempt from being labeled a Genetically Engineered Food?

13. Dance Exercise, Nia, Nia at the City of San Jose, Nia classes in the South Bay, Nia Teacher, Nia Class, San Jose Nia, Nia San Jose, Nia workout, Nia, ZumbaDo you think that it is acceptable for there to be percentages of Genetically Engineered Food allowed in products without the product having to be labeled a Genetically Engineered Food?

14. Do you believe that it is acceptable for a governmental department to “adopt any regulations that it determines are necessary for the enforcement and interpretation of” an article?

15. Do you think that an acceptable way of enforcing a labeling law is to allow for lawsuits without demonstrating “any specific damage occurred as a result of the alleged violation”?

*Genetic engineering is the process of changing the genetic material of a living organism to produce some desired change in that organism’s characteristics.

12 Responses to “Genetically Engineered Foods Labeling Questionnaire”

1. I’m afraid to understand it. I might never eat an oatmeal pie again and I love my Little Debbie’s. 🙂

It always amazes me how much research you do. Very impressive!

• I do usually do a lot of research but this was all from our CA voter’s guide. I think being educated is good, for me it just helps me try to avoid certain foods. One can only do so much.

2. niachick said

My husband and I eat 100% certified organic. We eat zero processed foods. We are wheat/gluten free. It’s sad that such questions even have to be asked IMHO. But thank you for posting your blog. I know you are concerned about nutrition — and for the most part, if one is not eating organic, one is eating GMO foods. It’s the norm these days. It’s another way of keeping the doctors and pharmaceutical companies in business. GMO products cause changes in cellular structure in the food and thus in us…changes in cellular structure is an open door for cancerous cells to grow. No GMO. No GMO. No GMO.

• We do not eat 100% certified organic. And we eat a lot of processed foods. I love bread, pasta, rice, maridnades, beer, and wine and that is where the bulk of our majorly processed foods come in. I love coffee too, although I don’t drink it every day, when I drink it is probably not organic. I actually cannot imagine not eating processed foods — I can’t made everything from scratch myself.

It is sad that we have the GMO issue, but these questions have to be asked (in my opinion) because there is a proposition on the ballot that raises these questions. Sometimes things are not what they seem or are not good enough and with people as busy as they are they might not read the fine print. And sometimes people just settle for the first thing that comes along even though it is subpar.

Yes, as you said, if you are not eating 100% organic you are eating GMO, but apparently we need a label for that so people can see it and ignore it anyway? Everything (well, a LARGE percentage of things) is/are GMO, from our paint to our clothes to our food and our medicines . . . it is truly the thing science fiction used to be made of. We are living it!

Thanks for stopping by!

3. niachick said

Hi…let me go back and smooth over my comments. I just re-read it after getting your reply and sense that perhaps I had that self-righteous tone to my “100% organic” comment. We do eat 100% organic and we don’t each processed foods — I don’t think of wine as processed and I do drink wine. When I say “processed”, I’m talking more about stuff that has ingredients that I can’t pronounce. Our concern is to eliminate anything that isn’t fresh or at least organically produced. We choose to purchase our groceries from an organic market, including our meats and fish. Our eggs are from a local person who has free-range chickens. We do use cookie and cake mixes, but they are organic and gluten-free (Pamela’s brand is the best we’ve found). Not everything that is made from scratch is good either — white flour, refined sugar, etc.

I’ve seen the meals you prepare and the food you eat — you take pictures of it and it looks absolutely delicious. You take care to know and understand what you eat. Many don’t, and I think that’s what you’re talking about. Being conscious, being aware.

I apologize if I came off sounding snooty. That wasn’t my intention! Love your blogs!

• I think maybe the term “processed foods” is what was not clear. I actually tend to agree with the text of the law which states, “d) Processed food. “Processed food” means any food other than a raw agricultural commodity and includes any food produced from a raw agricultural commodity that has been subject to processing such as canning, smoking, pressing, cooking, freezing, dehydration, fermentation or milling.” So I think of pretty much everything in a box, bottle, or bag as processed. I know you weren’t being self-righteous because I know you love your chocolate and candies and I consider those items to be highly processed. 😉

And you are right . . . not everything made from scratch is healthy and nutrient rich because of the “processed” flour and sugar, white and/or refined. But it usually does have less of those “ingredients that I can’t pronounce”.

I do try to eat healthy most of the time. But when eating out it is difficult because even something one would think of as healthy is probably Genetically Engineered laden because so much food has been genetically engineered. And we do eat processed foods.

I think that ALL food that has ANY GE anything in it should be labeled, not just MOST. I don’t think there should be an allowalbe percentage. And I think that if something contains an animal that was not raised organically IT should be considered a GE product. And I don’t think opening the door for lawsuits needs to be in a law whose main purpose SHOULD be to benefit all.

You didn’t sound snooty to me, because I know you and I love you and I know you love me, so I was “listening with love” (!). We just have a little different definition for “processed foods”. Like the dairy. 🙂

• niachick said

Thanks, Terre!! I absolutely agree that everything that is GMO’d or GE’d should have a label. Sounds like California (or is it more than California?) is trying to pull the wool over the consumers’ eyes? Sad.

• It is very difficult to get a law changed. It is easier to say no to a proposed law and have it written better than to get it changed. I don’t think it is good enough.

MUAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• diana said

so if we say no will there be somethign else rewritten or will they think we don’t care about the sumject and not even bother trying again???

• Get stuck with something that is not good enough or work for something that is? I believe ALL genetically engineered food should be labeled, not some or most. I believe food that has a genetically engineered “processing aid or enzyme”, or meat that has not been genetically engineered but could have been INJECTED with genetically engineered material, or food with any percentage or number of ingredients should be labeled. But this propsition does not. So vote yes and tell them that is acceptable to you or vote no. It is up to you.

4. soy wax suppliers india said

Unquestionably believe that which you said.
    Your favorite justification seemed to be on the
    internet the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to
    you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the
    whole thing without having side effect , people can take
    a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Let me hear it. What have you got to say about this post?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s