Terre Pruitt's Blog

In the realm of health, wellness, fitness, and the like, or whatever inspires me.

• I teach Nia, yoga and stretch! SIX group classes a week!

Nia: Tues and Thurs at 9 am, Fri at 10:15 am

Yoga: Tues at 10:30 am and Thurs at 6:00 pm

Stretch: Thurs at 10:15 am

Please see my website for details! I sub for the City of San Jose and the YMCA so check my website for dates and times!

I am also available for private Nia / yoga / Personal Training!

• Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

• My Bloggey Past

• ******

Chose a month above to visit archives, or click below to visit a page.

Healthful Teas Can Be Yummy

Posted by terrepruitt on March 13, 2012

Dance Exercies, Nia, Nia Campbell, Campbell Nia, Nia classes in Campbell, evening Nia, Nia Teacher, Nia Class, San Jose Nia, Nia San Jose, Nia workout, NiaI like tea.  Do you like tea?  I like to have tea to warm me up during the day when I don’t want to have caffeine or when I don’t want to just make a hot cup of spices.  I also drink it at night for the same reason.  Herb tea in itself is said to be good for you.  Green tea is supposed to have all kinds of benefits.  I like tea and I do believe that herbal tea has benefits depending on what herb you are drinking.  Echinacea tea would fall into that category. For instance I whole heartedly believe in Echinacea being helpful when you feel you might be catching a cold.  I believe it can help you not get the cold or help make it less severe.  In the same vein I think it can help you get better faster if you are sick.  Echinacea is one of those herbs that helps with immune systems.  Whenever my husband mumbles he is not feeling well, I make sure he has a cup of Echinacea tea. I also tend to believe in the teas that claim to help with certain things (help you sleep, boost your immue system, etc).

Last October we used up the last of our Echinacea tea.  Funny I remember when it was exactly because the studio I teach Nia at had just moved.  I found myself looking around the new area one day in November.  Normally I wouldn’t remember when I bought tea but this I remember.  I wandered into a health food store.  They had a large selection of herbal tea.  My friend and I had just been having a conversation about green teas so I was looking for green teas. I wanted something to replace my Echinacea tea.  There were two I could not decide between.  But then I spotted another one and wanted that.  So I ended up getting Green Tea Triple Echinacea and a Green Tea “Super Antioxidant”.  Not sure I believe that one, but I did believe it was green tea and thought, “Well, what the heck.”

Well, they taste green.  If you are conscious of green taste you know what I mean.  I don’t think my other Echinacea tea was green tea because it didn’t taste like green.  They are ok, I like them but I kind of just save them for when I think I need them.  When I want a yummy cup of tea they are not what I think of.  Plus they have caffeine.

Not all herb tea is decaffeinated.  Green tea has caffeine.  So if you are not drinking coffee because you don’t want the caffeine and you are drinking green tea instead, you you could still be getting caffeine.  Unless it says it is decaffeinated it has caffeine.  Sometimes I don’t mind the caffeine, in fact I will drink it because of the caffeine.  But lately it has been cold here at night and I don’t want the caffeine at night.  I wanted some decaffeinated tea.  While I was buying my calcium I clicked on their tea section and found some interesting looking tea.  It is Echinacea Immune Support.  It was on sale so I took a chance.  Ahhhhh!  I am so glad I did.

Dance Exercies, Nia, Nia Campbell, Campbell Nia, Nia classes in Campbell, evening Nia, Nia Teacher, Nia Class, San Jose Nia, Nia San Jose, Nia workout, NiaIt has Echinacea root and Cinnamon Bark in it.  Also Cardamom Seed, Rose Hip, Ginger Root, and Elderberry Extract among other things.  This is not a green tea, but it has other things I like, for instance a yummy taste.  It is really good.  This tea is one that I think of drinking when I want to have a warm cozy cup of tea.  The moment I ripped open the little package I was intrigued by the delicious smell.

Echinacea is good for fighting colds.  Cinnamon and cardamom are anti-inflammatory spices.  Rose hips is high in Vitamin C so it has anti-oxidants.  Ginger can help with chronic inflammation and digestion.  And I just learned about Elderberry being an immune system boost.  So, with all the ingredients in here that I am familiar with I can concede its claim to be Immune Support.  Even if not, it is a good cup of tea.

Do you drink tea?  Do you drink herb tea?  Do you drink herb tea for health benefits?  What is your favorite tea?

10 Responses to “Healthful Teas Can Be Yummy”

1. Becky said

Oh oh! Yes… I like hot tea. There’s this tea shop here with all the teas and you tell them what you want it for and they mix you a batch and it’s quite expensive so I’ve never actually been… but, my friends swear by it!

2. Michele said

Mmmmm, I do like tea – all kinds of tea, black, green, herbal, spicy, hot, iced – although I do not drink it as much when my life feels busy and hectic. I always think of tea as a calm relaxed thing to do. With my two busy kids I find myself gulping down more coffee than anything these days!! I have purchased many teas for there quailities, such as – sleepy chamomile, smooth move when I am cleasnsing, peppermint for a pick me up. One of m favorites is always Good Earth Original, mmmmm. Thank you for the reminder, I have a whole drawer full of tea being ignored and kids in school today! Will have to find some Echinacea, that sounds like a good one to have around during all this cold and rainy weather up here. xoxoxo

• I completely understand that way of thinking . . . . tea is for calm and relaxing times. Although there is the other way of thinking . . . tea is for when life is busy and hectic to help BRING calm to those times. 🙂 Especially if you have tea claiming to do that.

I don’t know “Good Earth Original”. Republic of Tea Ginger Peach (Black Tea) is one of my ALL TIME favorites. But it is black tea so it have a lot of caffeine. But it is so yummy.

Did you have some tea or did I keep you from that with my phone call? 🙂

Hugs and kisses!

3. Michele said

I did not have any tea yesterday, I am going to today – as soon as I write this comment!

• AWESOME. I know I had tea this week, but I don’t remember when. Probably Monday. Today I had coffee. It was yummy.

Oh, yesterday I used a Christmas gift card for a Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks.

4. Hope Alba said

I made a tea mix of ginger root and green tea together, and i dranked a whole glass of tea yesterday with my dinner. I’m wondering is that to much to drink in one serving; or is it ok?

• What does the pacakge say? The instructions I’ve read on Green Tea boxes is to drink 6 to 8 glasses a day. That is a lot of tea, especially if you are drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water a day. If I drank 6 to 8 glasses of water AND 6 to 8 glasses of tea a day, I would spend my day in the restroom!

Thanks for being here, Hope!

5. Yui said

I love tea, esp hot tea. I like them cold, but not that crazy as hot tea. My favorite tea is jasmine tea, the one with chamomile extract, green tea, and black tea. Thanks for sharing this great information about tea. I’m getting even love them more 🙂

Let me hear it. What have you got to say about this post?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s